Homemade Baby Food

11:30 PM Unknown 2 Comments


At Penelope's four month old doctor appointment a couple months ago, our doctor told us to start Penelope on baby food.  I was delighted.  

I have always wanted to make baby food for my babies... and the time was finally here.

I have wanted to make by own baby food for two major reasons: it is less expensive and I know everything that goes into my baby.  

On my hit list of things to make was veggies (broccoli and sweet potatoes) and cereal (rice and oatmeal).

But above all, the baby food needed to be convenient.  I knew I would eventually give in to store bought baby food if I didn't make things easy on myself.  Therefore, the following recipes are inexpensive, pronounceable ingredients and convenient.  
  
Homemade Baby Rice Cereal 



Homemade Baby Rice Cereal

1/4 cup brown rice

1 cup water

food processor or blender



1. Blend rice in blender until powder form.  This step is really important because the rice needs to be super fine for a babies digestive system to be able to handle it.  I used my Vitamix, so it blended up in about 1 minute.  However if you have a regular blender it may take up to 8 minutes.   
2. Boil 1 cup water and turn down to lowest setting.   Sprinkle in rice cereal while stirring with a whisk.  Cook for 10 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring often so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.  When cooked, rice cereal should look like porridge.    
3. Pour the rice cereal into silicone ice cube trays and place in freezer.  
4. Pop out rice cereal ice cubes and place in a ziplock bag and store in freezer.  
* I have also used the same method but swapped in oatmeal and barely in place of rice. 


Homemade Sweet Potato Baby Food 


Sweet Potato
2 large sweet potatoes
1 cup water
food processor or blender

1. Roast sweet potatoes on rack of oven for 45 minutes @450 degrees or until soft in center.
2. Let cool slightly and peel off skins. 
3. Place sweet potatoes in food process or blender with 1 cup water.
4. Blend until smooth. 


5. Pour into silicone ice cube trays and place in freezer.  

    
6. Pop out sweet potato ice cubes and place in a ziplock bag and store in freezer.    
* I have used this method for broccoli as well.  Just cut up the broccoli, toss in oil, place in the oven @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes and follow steps 3-5.  



I got my silicone ice cube trays from Bed Bath and Beyond for about $6.  Similar here.

When it is time for Penelope to eat I just defrost one of the cereal ice cubes and one of the veggie ice cubes and mix together.  


  

2 comments:

  1. I had not even thought of making my own rice cereal and freezing it. Genius! Any idea how long the pureed vegetables are good for in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! Yes, try it out. I can't wait to see what you think. My rule of thumb was 3 months- for anything. Penelope's favorite was pureed soups. Any soup! I'm assuming it was because of all the flavor and spices etc... However, this Veggie Chili Soup {http://www.elephantandchick.com/2015/07/recipe-roundup-vegetarian-edition.html} she went goo goo for!

      Delete