Delicious Mini Apple Pies

4:00 AM Unknown 1 Comments

This is kind of a crazy time of year. I mean I saw someone had a countdown to Christmas going on (19 Fridays if you were wondering;)).  But this time of year also means summer winding down and school starting for the kids (and those of us in college--aka me). But most importantly, this time of year brings out all those fantastic flavors of apples, pumpkin, cinnamon, and basically all those warm/fall flavors.

The other day I got this huge craving for cinnamon.  But you can't just have cinnamon on it's own, so then I thought how tasty it would be to have cinnamon mixed with green apples.  I thought I was pretty much a genius for thinking up this concoction...and then I realized it already existed in the form of an apple pie!!  I was getting all ready to make an apple pie and jumped online to search for an apple pie recipe.  I started going through recipe after recipe and it all just sounded...really overwhelming.  But I still had this craving of cinnamon and green apples!

Then I had a thought:

I'll just make Mini Apple Pies!  And make it up as I go! WHAT?!!  It totally turned out:)


Okay, so if you haven't been able to figure it out from my (I'm Genevieve) last posts, I'm all for simple things that turn out to be these beautiful and ridiculously delicious desserts.

This just takes a little bit of prep work, and you're set!

Preheat oven to 450°.
Ingredients:
already made pie crust (I used Pillsbury - holy cow took me forever to find at the store--note: it's in a box!!)
2 medium sized apples (granny smith are my favorite for apple pie)
2 TBSP melted butter
4 TBSP sugar
1½ TBSP flour
1½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Roll out your already made pie crusts (after they've been set to room temperature).  I had to play around with different things in my kitchen in order to find the perfect circle shapes to fit into my muffin pans (I used regular sized muffins pans).  I ended up using a small bowl (4 inches in diameter) as my cookie cutter.


Do you see how it crinkles on the side?! I pretty much just had to fit the pie crust to the bottom of the pan and it crinkled all on it's own!  But I'll totally take credit for helping it:)

Set the muffin pans aside, and start chopping your apples.


Throw your chopped apples in a bowl, pour the melted butter to cover the apples, and then add the rest of the ingredients.



Pretty sure I could have just eaten this bowl of apples.  So after you take a couple of spoonfuls, start scooping the apple mixture into the pie crusts.


Bake at 450° for about 20 minutes or until your crusts start getting brown!

So I like how this doesn't come out very sweet which makes it a perfect excuse to have it with ice cream!  Seriously, try it with ice cream.


1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmm these look amazing! Can't wait to make them myself!

    ReplyDelete