Apple Cinnamon Granola

1:00 AM Unknown 1 Comments


I think granola has to be one of the most underestimated homemade specialties out there.  It's so easy, so customizable, and so delicious.  In the spirit of it being Fall and whatnot, I bring you apple cinnamon granola.  But think about it - what if you substituted the apples for dried bananas?  And added chocolate chunks?  How about dried bananas AND dried strawberries in your granola! Or coconut is one of my favorite granola add-ons and always a good choice.  The options are limitless.  

Other reasons to make homemade granola:

- You don't like the unnatural preservatives in boxed cereal.

- You live in a country that doesn't sell your favorite American boxed cereals.

- You or your kiddos have special dietary restrictions that mean you get a headache every time you try to read the fine print ingredients on said box of cereal.

Try making homemade granola.  I dare you.

This recipe involves coconut oil, which is a favorite and a staple around our house.  I love the slight coconut flavor it gives to the mix, without being too overbearing.  My recipe below lists approximately 3 times the amount of cinnamon a regular person might feel comfortable with, but feel free to add more.  I won't judge.

Apple Cinnamon Granola

3 cups oats
1 cup of dried apples
2/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix all ingredients together.  Spread thinly on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.  Stir and then bake for another 20 minutes.

Note: If you've never dried apples before, I suggest you add that to your favorite snacks as well.  Our Best Bites has a great tutorial here


1 comment:

  1. This is perfect for fall! I can't wait to make this and eat it with my yogurt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete