Recipe Roundup: Vegetarian Edition

11:00 PM Unknown 1 Comments

Recipe Roundup is back!  This time I bring you... Vegetarian Edition!  Since running our Recipe Roundup segment last fall, we've had many readers ask for some of our favorite vegetarian dishes in particular.  There are handfuls of them sprinkled among our prior posts, but for your convenience we've pulled them altogether, right here, plus added some new ones for ya.  Is this a great start to the weekend or what?

Now, before you read this post, I feel like I need to make a disclaimer.  I'm not a huge vegetarian meal preparer.  My husband is always reminding me that it's actually ok to not have a meat as part of every meal.  It's just not how my brain works.  I do recognize, however, that there are many reasons to at least eat partially as a vegetarian; if not to avoid the meat but to increase vegetable intake.  Shannon and Robyn are good about incorporating vegetarian meals in to their planning and often pass along their best recipes to me.  My husband is thankful... and so is the logical side of my brain.  

So now, we will share them with all of you!

First up, a Shannon original: Roasted Veggies and Quinoa.  If this picture doesn't make you want to go make it right now, I don't know what will.  My mouth is watering.

Next up, one of my easiest and most commonly made recipes.  My favorite variation on Caesar Salad are these Caesar Lettuce Wraps.  I often serve them with grilled chicken inside the wrap, but it can easily be left out for a nice vegetarian meal.


Of course, don't forget mac n cheese is a great vegetarian meal!  (Ok, so this one doesn't fall in to the category of increasing your vegetable intake, but just serve a nice side of greens with it and call it good.)  I like this version of baked mac n cheese because all the ingredients are usually ones I have on hand.  Two recommendations: First, use sharp cheddar cheese - the sharper the better!  Second, it's better prepared, baked, and then served all in a row.  It can be made ahead, but I don't think it turns out the best if done that way.


This next one is one that has become a favorite in many of the Sister's homes: Mexican Black Beans and Quinoa.  It's so easy.  It's one of those one-pot-wonders, is healthy, and filling.  Three of my favorite qualities in a meal.


Another go-to vegetarian meal for me is Slow Cooker Veggie Chili.  I feel like I'm always looking up the recipe for it.  Add it to your quick-reference list.  It's featured in a past Recipe Roundup where Robyn talks about even blending it up as baby food!  Perfect for the little ones in the family!


Other vegetarian meals we've featured on the blog in prior posts are listed here, with links for easy access:

Corn Chowder (prepare without the chicken)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Elephant and Chick! Dallin and I are really trying to cut down our meat intake, so this is perfect. <3

    ReplyDelete